FAQ about coming to KEA for study exchange :: kea.dk
Main Menu

FAQ about coming to KEA on Exchange

How to apply as an exchange student

How can I become an exchange student at KEA?
In order to be considered as an exchange student at KEA, you have to be chosen and nominated by your home university. It is up to your home university to assess your grades, professional and personal skills and to give you the application instructions.

Can I travel with ERASMUS+?

KEA holds an extended ERASMUS+ Charter, so if your institution has a bilateral agreement with KEA under the ERASMUS+ programme, you can contact the international office at your home institution and check your options. The ERASMUS+ grant of incoming exchange students is administered by the sending home institution, not by KEA. Therefore, ask your international coordinator at home about the procedures.

What if my school doesn't have an exchange agreement with KEA?

KEA only accepts Exchange students from partner universities.

What are the deadlines for applying for an exchange stay at KEA?

Nomination deadlines for incoming exchange students:

15th April for the following autumn semester
15th October for the following spring semester

Application deadlines for incoming exchange students:

1st May for the following autumn semester
1st November for the following spring semester

What are my study options?

Exchange students are enrolled into one of KEA's international programmes that are taught in English. You can see the international programmes that KEA offers here

KEA does not have a course catalog. Within each semester, subjects are predefined. However, sometimes it is possible to choose an elective subject.

What are the language requirements?

KEA requires an English proficiency equivalent to level B2 (CEFR Common European Framework for Languages).

Learning Danish

You don't have to speak Danish to study in Denmark, but understanding the local language might enrich your stay here. KEA offers free Danish classes throughout each semester. You can apply at the beginning of the semester.

Where will I study?

Please find the contact details of all study programmes and departments of KEA here



Health and safety

What Insurances do I need?

It is important that you are properly insured during your stay in Denmark. There are two different kinds of coverage you should be aware of:

  1. Health Insurance
    Exchange students in Denmark are covered by the Danish Public Health Insurance. That means that you will be able to see a General Practitioner for health issues and general check-ups plus any specialists that he might refer you to. You will also be covered if you need to go to the hospital – emergency or non-emergency. You will not be covered for dental work unless performed in an emergency situation. Prescription drugs are subsidized, but not free.

    In order to receive this coverage you need a legitimate residence permit and subsequently apply for a Health Insurance Card (called Yellow Card or CPR Card). This process takes anything from 2 to 8 weeks.
    Therefore, you need to bring health insurance coverage from home to cover you during that time.

  2. Luggage, Liability, and Accident Insurance
    You need to buy insurance that will cover you in these areas. Consult with your local exchange coordinator as to the most appropriate insurance.

How does the public health system work?

When applying for a CPR Card you will choose your General Practitioner doctor - in general we advise you to choose one close to your accommodation. The phone number and address of your doctor will be visible on your CPR card. We advice you to memorize your CPR number, as you will be asked about it in many different situations.

In order to see a doctor you will need to make an appointment by phone. Some doctors also have an online reservation system that you can use in non-urgent situations. You will always be prompted to recite your CPR number.

If you need a specialist, your doctor will refer you to a relevant office and you will make an appointment there. That will also be covered by the insurance.

In a medical emergency, call 112 or show up at one of the emergency care rooms located in Copenhagen.

Visits to your General Practitioner Doctor, specialist doctors you've been referred to and hospitalisation are covered by your Danish health insurance.

How safe is Copenhagen?

Copenhagen is generally a very safe city with a low crime rate. It is, however, a big city and we advise all our students to be aware of their belongings and surroundings when walking around the city – be it day or night.

The police are present in the streets and can be approached in case you feel insecure or you have experienced a crime. You can also call the 24-hour police contact, 114.

Do KEA campuses have disability access?

All KEAs campuses have disability access.


For more information, please check this page.



Financial matters

What currency is used in Denmark?

The Danish currency is called “Krone” and the international abbreviation is DKK. Denmark does not have the Euro, but you will be able to pay with Euros in the more touristy areas.

We advise incoming students to bring a credit card (Visa or Mastercard) that has a 4-digit code, it will be accepted in most stores.

What are the living costs?

The below estimates can give you an idea of living expenses:

Accommodation: DKK 3.500 – 5.000 per month

Food: DKK 1.500 – 3.000 per month

Phone: DKK 79 – 200 per month 

Public Transportation: DKK 200 – 400 per month (depending on whether you ride a bike – see Climate and Local Transportation for more information).

For more information about budgeting click here.

How much will I need to spend on school materials?

It depends very much on your specific programme. Some programmes require specific computer software while others require you buy materials to complete your projects. If you want information relating to your program costs, please contact the relevant international coordinator.

In general, many of the reading materials you need you will be able to find online on KEAs intranet Fronter or at the KEA Library.

Will I need to get a Danish bank account?

It is not required that you have a Danish bank account during your stay in Denmark. However, if you want a cheaper phone subscription with data or you get a student job, you will need a Danish bank account.

You can get a bank account once you receive your CPR number (ref: Health and Safety). Besides that requirement, it varies from bank to bank what the requirements are to set up a bank account. Make sure you enquire about the fees before opening the account. Some banks offer student accounts for free.

Will I be able to get a student job during my stay at KEA?

Jobs for students in Copenhagen are scarce if you do not speak Danish, and you should not count on a student job for your income. Some exchange students find a student job during their stay at KEA, but most will concentrate on their studies.

Nordic, EU/EEA or Swiss citizens can work in Denmark under the EU rules regarding the free movement of people and services, with no restriction on the number of hours.

Non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizens may work in Denmark for up to 20 hours a week and full-time during June, July and August. You can see if you are allowed to work in Denmark on your residence card. 

Living in Copenhagen

What is the local climate?

Denmark's weather is quite mild and the climate of Denmark is temperate, made mild by mostly west winds and by the seas surrounding Denmark almost entirely. 

Denmark's mean temperature in the coldest month (February) is 0°C (32°F), and in the warmest (July) 17°C (63°F). Rain in Denmark comes on a regular basis year-round, there are no true dry periods. Copenhagen has an average of 170 rainy days a year. 

Because of Denmark's northern location in Europe, the length of the day with sunlight varies greatly. This is typical for Scandinavia. There are short days during the winter with sunrise coming around 8 am and sunset around 3:30 pm, as well as beautifully long summer days with sunrise at 3:30 am and late sunsets at 10 pm. 

Remember to bring warm and rainproof clothes and a pair of warm boots– especially if you will spend the winter in Denmark!

How do I get around Copenhagen?

The public transportation system in Copenhagen is very good and combines underground Metro, overground S-Trains, and buses – most of which run both day and night. All KEA campuses are located close to public transportation.

You can plan your trips within Copenhagen by using www.rejseplanen.dk (choose English).

For information about ticket types and prices see the regional traffic organisation's website.

However, the best and most popular way to get around Copenhagen is on a bike. Copenhagen is one of the worlds most bike-friendly city and 50 percent of people living in the city use a bike as their main transport.

Where do I buy a bike?

You can purchase a bike in one of the many bike shops or larger supermarkets – most of the bike shops have used bikes for sale. Make sure you get a proper lock and authorized bike lights. Biking at night without the proper lighting will be fined by the police. Remember to buy a bicycle helmet. It might save your life – if not your brain!

Where will I live?

All of KEA's student residences are located in the city of Copenhagen, at a maximum of 15 minutes by bike from school.

You can read more about accommodation here.

Residence permit and visa

Will I need a visa to enter Denmark?

Citizens from some non-EU/EEA countries require a visa to enter Denmark. Visit this website to see a list of these countries.

How long does it take to get a visa?

Up to 3 months. Learn more about visa here.

Do I need to apply for a residence permit?

Yes - everybody staying in Denmark for more than 3 months needs a residence permit.

Non-EU/EEA citizens: you must apply for a Danish residence permit through the Danish embassy or consulate in your home country, before you leave for Denmark. We advise that you apply right after you've been accepted at KEA.

EU/EEA citizens: you must apply for a residence permit once you arrive in Denmark. The necessary application and instructions will be given to you from your international coordinator at KEA.

For information about study programmes or admission go to CONTACT. Find out more about KEA - Copenhagen School of Design and Technology on Facebook and YOUtube. For comments about the website, contact the webmaster.