FAQ about outgoing Exchange and Study Abroad :: kea.dk
Main Menu

FAQ about outgoing Exchange and Study Abroad

Application Process

How do I apply?

If you want to go on Exchange or Study Abroad you need to apply through your International Coordinator. Your International Coordinator has a Fronter room with relevant information about the application for your specific program. The application process generally has 2 steps.

Step 1: You will upload all your application documents to our application system before the KEA deadline. Your local KEA coordinator evaluates your application and nominates you for an exchange place.

Step 2: If you are lucky to be selected for an exchange place you will need to apply to the institution abroad as well. Your KEA coordinator will provide you with the information needed for this application.

What are the application requirements?

It is up to your International Coordinator to choose and nominate you to the host university. Generally she/he will assess your grades, professional and personal competences.

When do I have to apply?

It varies from program to program how early you need to apply to go abroad on exchange. The deadline generally lies 1-2 semesters before your exchange semester.

For precise dates you should contact your International Coordinator or find the relevant Fronter room.

Make sure you check out the relevant deadlines as soon as you start thinking about applying for exchange.

Where can I go?

You can find KEA’s partner institutions here.

Please note that not all partner institutions accept students from all KEA programs. You need to make sure that you check if your programme is included in the agreement. You can also find more information about agreements applicable to your specific program in the relevant Fronter room.

Are there any paper brochures about exchange or the partner schools?

At KEA we have a principle that we wish to digitize as much information as possible, so there are no paper brochures about study exchange. But you can find all the information online on Fronter.

Practical Matters

Do I get my grades transferred to my KEA transcript?

As a rule you need to complete the equivalent of 30 ECTS when you go on exchange. Once you’ve completed all your exams abroad and received a transcript to proof the passed exams, the 30 ECTS will transfer to your KEA degree.

Your foreign grades will not be transferred onto your KEA Diploma, but will instead be written as pass/fail. You should use your official transcript from your exchange destination as an appendix to your KEA diploma to show exact classes and grades achieved abroad.

What about insurance?

If you travel in Europe, you must get a blue European health insurance card from your Citizen Service (Borgerservice). You can apply for the blue health insurance card online.

You should also check the conditions of your private travel health insurance. Make sure that you can be transported back to Denmark in case of serious illness. You might have to upgrade your existing insurance in order to get appropriate coverage.

If you go overseas, your host school will ask you to pay for a student health insurance. Some partner institutions (for example in Australia) will require that you buy their specific policy while others will accept proof of insurance from other sources.

We also recommend that you carry out some kind of liability insurance and insurance against theft, e.g. if your computer gets stolen or similar.

KEA has no liability or responsibility for the outgoing exchange students’ insurance coverage.

Can I take my internship abroad?

All of KEA’s programs allow for students to do their internship abroad. You can learn more about this option here (link to internships abroad).

Finance and Accommodation

How much does it cost to go abroad?

Besides any tuition fees you might pay you will have to pay for living and travel costs while you are abroad. It varies wildly how much it costs to study in a specific country, but as a rule, the further away from Denmark you go, the more expensive it will be for you.

When you plan your studies abroad think about what these items might cost you:

  • Travel there and back
  • Housing + deposit
  • Insurance
  • Visa
  • Living costs
  • Transport once you arrive
  • Books and other university fees
  • Any expenses at home (for example rent in Denmark)

In general you should plan on renting out your accommodation in Denmark while you are away – that really helps keep the costs down.

How do I find accommodation abroad?

In general it is the university abroad, which will help you find accommodation. Some universities offer campus accommodation while others advise you on private rental options.

What will accommodation cost?

If you decide to study in a big city it is generally more expensive than in a rural area. The quality of university accommodation varies greatly and so does the price. Some places require that you pay the whole semester in advance.

Will I be able to find a student job abroad?

You should rely on a student job abroad for your income, but in some instances it might be possible for you to find something. That often requires that you speak the local language and that your visa allows for work besides your studies.

What grants and scholarships are available?

If you are eligible for SU, then you can bring that (and your SU-loan) with you abroad. The monthly SU rates when you study abroad are the same as the “udeboende SU”. Please note that you will not be able to bring your SU with your abroad if you are under a work requirement rule. If you are in doubt whether you are able to get SU on exchange, please ask your local KEA administration.

If you are going on one of KEAs exchange agreements within the EU you are able to apply for an Erasmus grant. You do not need to be eligible for SU to apply for this grant. You do not have to be Danish or European. The Erasmus grant varies from destination to destination, but is between 250 and 300 EUR per full month of study abroad. You apply through your International Coordinator once you’ve been accepted to your exchange institution. The whole procedure will happen automatically.

If you need to pay tuition fee at your institution abroad you can apply for this grant. The grant varies from program to program, but is around 40.000 DKK per semester abroad.

You can ONLY apply for this grant if you are eligible for SU and if you have proof that you can transfer 30 ECTS per semester back to your Danish degree.

If the “udlandsstipendium” does not fully cover your tuition fee costs then you are able to apply for this loan to cover the remaining amount. To apply for this loan you need to be eligible for SU and “Udlandsstipendium”.

The maximum amount you can borrow is DKK 100.000 and you can apply through MinSU starting in November 2013. The details regarding interests and repayment follow the SU loan regulations.

Other grants: All the above grants are applied for through KEA, but you might also have opportunities to apply for private grants. It is a time-consuming job to sort through the many foundations in Denmark, but it might be worth it if you are able to secure more funding.
Try looking at websites such as www.legatmidler.dk , www.so.dk , www.legatbogen.dk or you can go to the KEA Library and use the programme Legatvejviseren on one of the iMacs to start your search.

A popular grant is the "Nordea Fonden" which sponsors students on Professional Bachelor level going out for a semester abroad. You can read more about the grant here: https://nordeafonden.dk/legater-til-studieophold

Contact Information

Who should I contact if I have more questions?

You are always welcome to contact your local international coordinator. You can find contact information here.

For information about study programmes or admission go to CONTACT. Find out more about KEA - Copenhagen School of Design and Technology on Facebook and YOUtube. For comments about the website, contact the webmaster.